Rainbow Grilled Cheese
Updated: Jul 26
Turn your delicious grilled cheese into a delicious, rainbow grilled cheese! With some simple ingredients and food coloring, you can make rainbow grilled cheese sandwiches right at home. This activity can be fun for any age, although if needed, we suggest adult supervision when using the stove to heat up the sandwich, and when using the knife to cut the sandwich as you like. Practice your cooking skills, and don't miss out on this colorful and yummy activity!
You will need:
● ¾ cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
● Food coloring colors of choice
● 2 slices of bread
● ½ tablespoon of butter
● Same number of small bowls as colors of food coloring
● A fork
● A butter knife
● A frying pan
● Cooking spray
● A spatula
● A plate
● Separate the cheese into the same number of bowls as you have food coloring. We used 4 different colors (red, yellow, green, and blue) so we need 4 bowls.
● Add in a few drops of food coloring to each bowl of cheese. Using a fork, mix the food coloring into the cheese until it is all the color you want.
● Spray your pan with cooking spray and allow it to heat up. Using the knife, butter one side of your bread and place it butter side down on the heated pan.
● Carefully sprinkle your colored cheese onto the bread in a design on your choice. I chose stripes! Butter the other piece of bread and place it butter side up on to the colored cheese to create your sandwich. Once the bottom piece is golden brown and the cheese is melting, you can flip the sandwich using your spatula. Cook this side until it is golden brown and the cheese is melted as well.
● Once the sandwich is done, remove it from the heat and carefully put it onto your plate. Feel free to cut it in half and enjoy it once it has cooled off a bit!