DIY Sidewalk Chalk!
Updated: Jun 26, 2021
DIY sidewalk chalk is geared for children of all ages! This fun and creative activity allows for both artistic self-expression and the chance to get messy. With just a few ingredients, this activity is also manageable and easily completed by any child. Parents can also increase child autonomy by allowing more freedom in experimenting with the chalk recipe or colors.
You will need:
● Measuring cup
● Stir stick or spoon
● Mixing bowl
● Food coloring
● Muffin tins
● Begin by measuring out 1.5 cups of cornstarch and 1.5 cups of water
● Combine the cornstarch and water and stir in your mixing bowl for 2 minutes
★ Helpful tip: If it looks too watery, feel free to add another half cup of cornstarch! You may also do this later if your chalk is not hardening properly.
● Now divide up your mixture evenly into 12 muffin tins. Feel free to have them in a pan so they hold their shape!
● Now add 2-3 drops of food coloring into each tin, choose as many colors as you would like!
● Next, mix the food coloring into the tins and allow them to harden overnight.
● Yay! You have just made your own chalk, time to create a sidewalk masterpiece!