DIY Pop tarts
Updated: Aug 13, 2020
This homemade version of a delicious Pop-Tart is super yummy and only requires a few ingredients! You can also alter it to be your own favorite flavor! Younger children may need some assistance using the oven, but can easily help with many of the other tasks. This activity can help children further develop their fine motor skills and help them learn to follow step-by-step directions, all while making a delicious treat!
You will need:
● 1 package of premade, refrigerated pie crust
● 1 jar of fruit preserves (I chose strawberry!)
● 1 egg
● 1 TBSP water
● 1 cup of powdered sugar
● 2TBSP of heavy whipping cream
● 1/2tsp of vanilla extract
● Sprinkles of choice (optional)
● Baking sheet ● Spoon
● Wax paper ● Fork
● 3x5 index card ● Butter knife
● Spatula ● Whisk
● Rolling pin ● Pastry brush
● As always, first thoroughly wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. Then, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your baking sheet by laying a piece of wax paper on top of it. Then open your premade pie crust and lay it flat on another piece of wax paper.
● Next, take your index card and use it as a measurement for your homemade Pop-Tart. Lay it on top of the pie crust and cut around it. Use your spatula to carefully pick up each cut-out piece and lay it onto the prepared baking sheet. Once you run out of space to make more 3x5 rectangles, roll your remaining dough into a ball. Then use a rolling pin to roll it to the same thickness as before and repeat the steps to cut it out. Be sure that you have an even number of rectangles cut. Half of the rectangles should be placed onto the prepared plan to be filled and the other should be set aside.
● Now it is time to fill the Pop-Tarts. Use a spoon to scoop a spoonful of your fruit preserves onto the cut dough. Gently spread the preserves almost to the edge of each rectangle.
● Now take another rectangle and place it on top of the preserve covered crust. Use a fork to gently pinch all of the edges of the two pieces of dough together. Gently poke the top of the dough with a fork to allow air to be released.
● Now it is time to make the egg wash. Crack your egg into a small bowl and add 1 TBSP of water. Whisk the egg and water together. Using the pastry brush, lightly brush the whole Pop-Tart in your egg wash. Once they are well coated, carefully place them in the preheated oven to bake for 12-15minutes.
● Once the Pop-Tart are golden brown, carefully remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on a baking rack. Once they are cool, you may begin making the frosting. You can also use store bought frosting if you would like!
● To make the frosting, simply combine the powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract with 2 tablespoons of the preserves. Mix all of the ingredients together until it is smooth. If it seems too thick add another ½ of a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.
● Using a butter knife, spread a thin layer of frosting onto each Pop-Tart.
● Last but not least, add toppings! Decorate with some sprinkleshe a shape on top with them. Let the frosting and sprinkles set before eating. ENJOY!!